Food escapades in modernist cuisine

Sous Vide Pork Loin, Five Spice, Hoisin BBQ Sauce, Gailan


This past weekend my wife and I picked up a pork loin from BJ's for around $3 a pound. We decided to go Asian and do a riff on the roast pork you often find at Chinatown BBQ joints. Chinese roast pork, also called "siu yuk" or "sio bak", is typically pork belly that is marinated with Chinese five spice and then roasted to perfection until the skin is crisp.

With the pork loin we purchased, I rubbed the meat all over with Chinese five spice powder and let this sit for about 24 hours in the refrigerator. After coming back home from work tonight, I seasoned the meat with salt and then sous vide it for about an hour and a half at 144 degrees. I have an old school Sous Vide Supreme, but there are many better, cheaper sous vide options available now such as Joule and Anova. After taking the meat out of the immersion circulator, I dried off the exterior of the meat and seared it in a hot pan with some oil.

As I was sous viding the meat, I cooked up some plain white rice and blanched some Chinese broccoli tips in salted boiling water. I also made a quick Asian barbeque sauce of sorts, combining in a small sauce pan a quarter cup of water, a half tablespoon granulated garlic powder, and around 4 tablespoons each of hoisin sauce, ketchup, and honey.

The meat was incredibly tender and moist and had great flavor from the barbeque sauce, which was savory from the hoisin, sweet from the honey, acidic from the ketchup, and fragrant and aromatic from the five spice blend.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Modernist Foodie Copyright © 2013