Food escapades in modernist cuisine

GT Fish & Oyster

GT Fish & Oyster
531 N Wells St, Chicago, IL 60654
(312) 929-3501

On the last project I was on, I was traveling to Chicago weekly, which gave me the chance to dine at some of the city's best restaurants. One week while I was staying in the River North neighborhood, I found GT Fish & Oyster and it became one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago. It's since gotten alot of media attention and has been a regular on Eater Chicago's "essential restaurants" list.

GT Fish & Oyster is a pretty cool, trendy place with a decent sized bar out front and dinner seating towards the back. As its name suggests, its menu is heavy on fish and seafood. It gets very busy and crowded but I was always able to get a seat at the bar if I went early enough.

I didn't take pictures of all the meals I had there but here a few of the more memorable dishes I had (although everything I had there was pretty damn good):

 
Sun fish ceviche, chimichurri, jicama, radish, tostada - a really light and refreshing dish, highlighting the raw fish lightly "cooked" by the citrus juice...good crunch from the fresh radishes, lettuce greens, and of course the tostadas.


Foie gras and shrimp terrine, apricot chutney, pickled onion, szechuan peppercorn - in one word, amazing...easily my favorite dish at GT Fish & Oyster. It's a really elegant and skillfully made terrine with generous amounts of foie gras balanced with some acidity from the pickled onions and sweetness from the apricot chutney and the shrimp.

 
Sauteed mahi, fingerling potatoes, fried basil, romesco - another really delicious combination of flavors with perfectly good mahi mahi served with spanish flavors, specifically the tomato and almond from the romesco...great potatoes with a crunchy exterior and a silky smooth interior.



Gnocchi, rock shrimp, crab, mussels, tomato - pillowy soft gnocchi with an arrary of simply prepared but extremely fresh seafood.

If you're ever in Chicago, please do yourself a favor and visit this restaurant! You won't be disappointed.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Modernist Foodie Copyright © 2013