Food escapades in modernist cuisine

Crispy Roast Pork Belly (Sio Bak)


I recently made another batch of pork belly, and the end result turned out great, reminiscient of a crispy roast pork that is often sold in Chinatown barbeque joints. I've sous vided pork belly before (read more about it here) but this time around, I decided to cook it using a different time and temperature. The meat was noticeably more tender and moist, so I think I'll use this method from now on. Here's what I did:
  • Sous vide the pork belly for 18 hours at 158 degrees F in my Sous Vide Supreme
  • Remove the pork belly from the bag and dry it off
  • Place uncovered in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours to allow skin to dry out
  • Score or prick the skin all over
  • Cook pork belly in a hot oven (500 degrees) until the skin is crispy


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Modernist Foodie Copyright © 2013